One of the objectives of the Association of Motorcycle and Automobile Clubs (AMA) is to make the use of motor vehicles the largest sport and recreation activity in Australia and to support and enable Australians to use their motor vehicles for the purposes of recreational driving or riding and non competitive motor sport. While our core membership comes from clubs we also recognise that there are groups within the motor vehicle sport and recreation ecosystem that do not want to race or officially incorporate. To grow, it is important to have a flexible environment which can include these groups in our family. We call these groups ‘Chapters’.
Chapters are housed within the relevant AMA Division. An AMA Division is an ASIC registered trading name given to a specific discipline or activity of the AMA, eg. the Personal WaterCraft Division of the AMA is called the Personal Watercraft Association of Australia www.pwc.asn.au. Simply, Chapters meet, socialise, camp and motor together as a group under the auspices of the relevant AMA Division.
Joining the AMA as a club requires specific documentation including Club Constitutions, Model Rules, and a Certificate of Incorporation. These requirements create a barrier to entry for many non competitive motor sport and recreational driving/ riding groups whose participants would also like to access the benefits available from joining the AMA Clubs. This is why we created AMA Chapters.
An AMA Chapter is defined as a group that is not incorporated as an association and does not have a committee as it is not formally constituted as a club. These Chapters include members who have Full (Financial) Solo or Family memberships or Temporary (One Event) Solo or Family memberships with the AMA Clubs, to be able to join the Chapter.
To be able to recognise these groups as official AMA non competitive motor sport and recreation driving/ riding Chapters, the following is required:
- Pay zero $0 to register a recreation driving/ riding chapter, which only involves the use of registered motor vehicles, whether the Chapter has 5 members or 5,000;
- Pay a $250 annual insurance contribution fee, to register a non competitive motor sport chapter, which can involve the use of registered and unregistered motor vehicles, whether the Chapter has 5 members or 5,000;
- There must be a minimum of 5 AMA Clubs members at all times for the Chapter to maintain its charter;
The following are specific requirements and inclusions:
- No requirement for incorporation and/or a constitution;
- Chapter is not provided Directors and Officers Insurance as it is not formally a club and therefore would not have Directors or Officers;
- Group is not permitted to promote AMA sanctioned competitive/ racing events;
- Individuals are able to join the Chapter as Full (Financial) Solo or Family members or Temporary (One Event) Solo or Family members of the AMA Clubs.
To become an AMA Chartered non competitive motor sport or recreation driving/ riding chapter, please complete the Chapter Charter Form. Please note: you can not apply for any form of Chapter Charter unless you are already a financial member of the AMA Clubs. Not a member yet, join the AMA Clubs now!